Bag of the Month Club - Month 1 - January 2018 - Part 1

Posted by Stephanie Verspagen on

Back in December a post came up, on one of the bag-making groups I follow on Facebook, advertising 'The Bag of the Month Club'.  When you join this club you receive one new bag pattern, on the first of the month, for six months.  The patterns that you receive will not be available to the rest of the world until six months has passed.

For example, the pattern I just received on January 1st (Yay! Happy New Year!) - The Podium - which was designed and written by Christine Welsh of ChrisW Designs - will not be released to everyone else until July 2018. February's pattern will not be released until August and so on.

I was so excited at the prospect of receiving new bag patterns monthly that I went ahead and bought the six month membership (Yup, right before Christmas). I then told my husband and son about it AND that they had gotten it for me as a present (Ok, so it worked out in the end).

Here is a picture of the front cover of the pattern.  It is a nice medium sized bucket bag with an inner zippered pocket, 2 slip pockets and a pen pocket. There is also lots of room for more pockets! Gotta love pockets :)

Externally there are many options for this bag. There is a hidden phone pocket in the back, the bag closes with a magnetic snap, but a bag lock could be used and the straps and trim can be done any number of ways.

So on the afternoon of January 1st, 2018, after printing off the pattern, I began my journey in 'The Bag of the Month Club'.  And, yes, there is even a Facebook group for the club members (and past members) to share their creations and ask questions if needed. I'd say it's a pretty good support group!

By the end of day 1, I had the pieces all cut out and had started sewing parts of the body and adding the hardware. I've chosen a darker cotton fabric with geckos and a southwestern feel.  With that I decided to do the bottom and flap in a 'Cappuccino' coloured cork and tie it all together with antique brass hardware and some nice tan topstitching.





Here is a small picture of what I had accomplished by the end of day 1. I decided not to put the rivets or cut-outs in the bottom trim piece - just the 'Handmade' bag label. I had also decided that for the interior I wanted to try some satin fabric as I find the 100% cotton wrinkles a lot and I have a hard time getting the wrinkles out. So this project has become more than just trying a new bag pattern.

Skipping ahead to the 6th of the month, I managed to get a couple of hours of work done on the bag. The main flap is all sewn together with the little 'D-ring' in the centre below the snap where the tassel will hang. The rest of the exterior of the bag is coming along nicely as the side seams are all sewn up with some decorative topstitiching along both sides of the seams and the exterior bag bottom is attached.  The two sides of the secret (shhh!) phone pocket have been added as well.

As it usually does, life has gotten in the way of sewing (how dare it!). 

 

To be continued... in Part 2

0 comments

Leave a comment